Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain the PS3 Vs Vita debate?

Default Re: Can someone explain the PS3 Vs Vita debate?

Quote Originally Posted by S-i-k_b-o-y View Post
    Vita and PS3 have the same mom but different dads.
    lolololololol

2. Default Re: Can someone explain the PS3 Vs Vita debate?

Penny always explains stuff so well.

3. Default Re: Can someone explain the PS3 Vs Vita debate?

Quote Originally Posted by ToxiKent View Post
    So, that's the Sheldon explanation how about giving us the Penny explanation.
    Lmao toxi too funny

4. Default Re: Can someone explain the PS3 Vs Vita debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    It frustrates me because there shouldn't be an argument in the first place. My comment wasn't directed to anyone in particular, more a general frustration with the topic. I am allowed to show frustration from time to time. The Vita version and the Ps3 are not the same game, they play entirely differently, and in my opinion should not be compared as such.

Perfect Impact behavior is completely different between the two platforms. Contrary to popular belief Super Perfect Impact is only more beneficial under certain specific circumstances. In the vast majority of cases Perfect Impact is better than Super Perfect Impact.

The majority of players play with a 2% increment swing meter, every number in the engine has a decimal, there are no true whole numbers when making in game calculations. What this means is more often than not you are going to have "gaps" in the distance needed when hitting SPI.

The PS3 innately has a huge increased chance of SPI, more than 80% of PI shots are SPI on the PS3. Which actually hurts more then it helps. The Vita on the other hand is built under the original game design for double edged random variables, where perfect impact is more common and super perfect impact is less common.

This is important because of the behavior of PI and the interaction with a lie. If you have a 98-100% lie and hit SPI it will be 100% of the power hit. If you hit regular PI it can be 99% or 100% of the power hit.

Under SPI effects, the random lie variable is eliminated and you have a set value for power, but now you have many more power "gaps" overall. With Perfect Impact and a good lie you have a chance to eliminate the power "gap" if there is one.

In other words, think of Perfect Impact as an extra roll for a hole out if you find yourself in a power "gap" situation. Where as Super Perfect Impact is be right or bust 100% of the time. There is an increased element of "chance" on the Vita, and if played within the confines of the core mechanics of the game you can manipulate those small random variables from disadvantages into advantages.

"But SPI has better control" Yes this is the case to a certain extent, but you don't really begin to see the value of this until you are at C control. Perfect Impact's random variable distance far outweighs the benefits of the slightly more horizontally accurate Super Perfect Impact.

That is enough about impact for now, lets talk about side spin. The Vita has the original side spin algorithm from the open tee franchise, the engine this title was originally modeled after. The game was originally designed around this side spin algorithm, its interaction with wind, and the vast majority of characters having low side spin stats. When using side spin on the Vita the shots "level" out much better then on the PS3, because they were designed to do so.

For whatever insane reason Clap Hanz decided to scrap the open tee side spin algorithm for the out of bounds one, while not taking into consideration the different wind mechanics and character mechanics. This led is vastly inaccurate side spin system in the PS3.

This is important because the vast majority of side spin shots hit on the Ps3 cannot get back to a "level position" without increasing the characters side spin stat drastically. Obstacle Clearance, Spirals, counter-Fade/Draw shots are all vastly superior on the Vita. The Ps3 is a complete mess when it comes to side spin.

Another major difference are the rough and sand mechanics on the vita engine. This also includes side spin, as the side spin increases and decreases when in the rough and sand only the Vita has the accurate value for the game engine. The Ps3 does not.

Rough has greater acceleration on the Vita than the Ps3, this advantage is mostly outdated, but shots are more likely to roll at a higher speed on the Vita then on the Ps3. This can lead to more reachable par 4's, or increased distance for novice and intermediate characters. Clap Hanz has patched the rough on the Vita on three separate occasions, for whatever reason they changed the algorithm a fourth time on the Ps3 while keeping the vita the same.

TLDR version

-Perfect Impact > Super Perfect Impact under most circumstances
    (Vita has a much higher PI to SPI ratio.)

-Side Spin mechanics designed specifically for the game engine only appear on the Vita version of the game and not on the Ps3.

-Rough mechanics favor lower scores on the Vita.

The Vita has the better rounded engine, and plays more true to the title. The Ps3 version is kind of an odd chimera that probably shouldn't have been ported and doesn't play properly.

Do I condone whiners that cry about getting beat by a Vita? Absolutely not, that type of behavior should be frowned upon as we have little to no control over what Clap Hanz gives us.

But lets not try to pretend that the Vita and the Ps3 are the same game, they aren't. The Vita simply plays more true to the original design intentions of the game giving it an advantage over the Ps3.
    Yes senidol you are absolutely aloud to be frustrated, but so are we. Very few tours go by where we don't have to listen to someone whining about vita. However, you state that there shouldn't be an argument but yet feel the need to ramble paragraph upon paragraph about the differences. If being "informed" as you called it means I have to analyze super pi vs. regular pi or frame rates per second I will happily stay misinformed.

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pinhigh View Post
    Yes senidol you are absolutely aloud to be frustrated, but so are we. Very few tours go by where we don't have to listen to someone whining about vita. However, you state that there shouldn't be an argument but yet feel the need to ramble paragraph upon paragraph about the differences. If being "informed" as you called it means I have to analyze super pi vs. regular pi or frame rates per second I will happily stay misinformed.
    I state there shouldn't be an argument because Shihiko and myself are indirectly responsible for a lot (not all) of the birth of this argument in the first place. The rumor that the Vita was "easier" first started around the time when Shihiko and I were discussing variations in frame rates between the Vita and the vast majority of peoples televisions. People took that conversation as "Vita is easier to pi!" and used it as a mechanism to whine about Vita players. Which obviously wasn't my intent.

As time continued on more and more people started to use the "Vita is easier" line as they saw Vita players being successful, and it continued into what it is today, a bunch of people using the Vita as an excuse for why they cannot compete when using the Ps3. Their behavior in turn created the response of people feeling the need to defend the Vita and the players that use it.

It is basically the cause and effect of a really bad game of telephone, where someone took something out of context, masqueraded it as truth and it spread around the community causing conflict.

You were probably offended by the word "misinformed" which I apologize for if you were, as I stated above it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was more of a word to show my frustration with the current situation on the sever relating to Vita and Ps3 users, and was a direct response to the thread title, not a particular user. There are people that blindly state "Vita is easier", and also those that blindly defend it. That is why I said both sides are guilty of conjecture.

The feeling that you have to defend yourself against a statement I made that wasn't directed at you is exactly where my frustration lies. You shouldn't have to feel the need to defend yourself against a statement that is directed at the topic. I feel indirectly responsible for the topic even becoming an issue, and I feel bad that you have to take such a defensive position because of how poorly Vita users are treated online. I could have worded my statement a lot better to illustrate my point.
    Last edited by Senidol; 05-21-2015 at 11:49 AM.

6. Default Re: Can someone explain the PS3 Vs Vita debate?

You know that this will be a moot point when the new game comes out.

7. Default Re: Can someone explain the PS3 Vs Vita debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    I state there shouldn't be an argument because Shihiko and myself are indirectly responsible for a lot (not all) of the birth of this argument in the first place. The rumor that the Vita was "easier" first started around the time when Shihiko and I were discussing variations in frame rates between the Vita and the vast majority of peoples televisions. People took that conversation as "Vita is easier to pi!" and used it as a mechanism to whine about Vita players. Which obviously wasn't my intent.

As time continued on more and more people started to use the "Vita is easier" line as they saw Vita players being successful, and it continued into what it is today, a bunch of people using the Vita as an excuse for why they cannot compete when using the Ps3. Their behavior in turn created the response of people feeling the need to defend the Vita and the players that use it.

It is basically the cause and effect of a really bad game of telephone, where someone took something out of context, masqueraded it as truth and it spread around the community causing conflict.

You were probably offended by the word "misinformed" which I apologize for if you were, as I stated above it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was more of a word to show my frustration with the current situation on the sever relating to Vita and Ps3 users, and was a direct response to the thread title, not a particular user. There are people that blindly state "Vita is easier", and also those that blindly defend it. That is why I said both sides are guilty of conjecture.

The feeling that you have to defend yourself against a statement I made that wasn't directed at you is exactly where my frustration lies. You shouldn't have to feel the need to defend yourself against a statement that is directed at the topic. I feel indirectly responsible for the topic even becoming an issue, and I feel bad that you have to take such a defensive position because of how poorly Vita users are treated online. I could have worded my statement a lot better to illustrate my point.
    I appreciate that senidol, and I was possibly too harsh with my words but here's why I was: your statement above indicates your initial comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. However, in that statement you said misinformed people on both sides of the argument make for a lot of unnecessary tears and saber rattling. That sounds to me like it was directed at a good friend of mine. He was just stating things that he sees on a daily basis and didn't deserve the attack, however subtle it may have been.

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pinhigh View Post
    I appreciate that senidol, and I was possibly too harsh with my words but here's why I was: your statement above indicates your initial comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. However, in that statement you said misinformed people on both sides of the argument make for a lot of unnecessary tears and saber rattling. That sounds to me like it was directed at a good friend of mine. He was just stating things that he sees on a daily basis and didn't deserve the attack, however subtle it may have been.
    Nah it wasn't directed at him, saber rattling means "ostentatious display of military power" in other words the need to show strength or to defend yourself against an enemy.

Unnecessary tears from the people that keep saying Vita is easier, and the need to "display strength" from those that are ridiculed in a Us vs Them fashion.

I said misinformed because there is no real "them" to defend yourself against, the people that are saying the Vita is easier are looking for the defensive response they get from Vita users. The people that actually "believe" the Vita is easier just have no idea what they are talking about. I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

We all know how it is. If those specific individuals win, it's nothing but "Ty gga wp." As soon as a vita wins, it's off to the races. "Vita easier, good vita'n, etc." SSDD life goes on

10. Default Re: Can someone explain the PS3 Vs Vita debate?

Amen Star.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast