Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gods Among Men: Stats of the Elite

Senidol Guest

Default Re: Gods Among Men: Stats of the Elite

G0 tournaments, or tournaments in general will never be an accurate metric, you can't account for strength of field, number of players, or the difficulty of the course played. For example a high end player would probably go from 20% win ratio to 40%+ on courses of Provence difficulty and above. The only thing that graded tours can give you is a picture of who the "elite few" might be, but if you wanted to find out who is "best" amongst that group, you would have to look into a players entire body of work, or a player that stands apart even from that group.

If looking at entire bodies of work from release to current active/semi active players. Solid718 unquestionably has the best resume. 5th highest GF win %(when they mattered), Highest G0 win % throughout, similar win % in the daily to Ftgldsk and Mrpinhigh, and a large percentage of personal bests. The only time Solid was not the highest win % player on the server was when 4 currently inactive players had significantly higher GF win percentages.

The vast majority of the top 10 on the server all play on the Vita as well, BeEmerson is the only exception for active players.
    Last edited by Senidol; 04-02-2015 at 12:45 PM.

2. Default Re: Gods Among Men: Stats of the Elite

Quote Originally Posted by dimskill View Post
    But I think we always have a habit to hark back to the early days, and view with rose tinted spectacles, certainly the case with OOB. It is still rare to win a G0 with an ordinary score, and although the pod accumulation at 40% makes that easier, the 5 tour rotation puts a deal of pressure on far more games than the 40 tour rotation of OOB, meaning that consistency, rather than occasional brilliance is optimal.
    I loved oob it was my first hsg game and will forever be the benchmark for me.
    I like this game better.
    Easy to say this guy or that guy is/was better especially when they play at different times/eras.
    For me its the longevity of Pinhigh that elevates him. I get that some people only play for a short while and move on. That only serves to leave doubt about how good they would be today. This game is certainly easier to win some days than it was before. I have plenty of dubious 6 man late night wins on my resume. On the other hand I have won tournaments with Pinhigh solid BeEm ftg starsaber and a host of other good players wherein my -13 on the back 9 of provence was the winner because I outpointed another player.
    While it might not have the "Star power" oob had in its prime there are still some good tournaments yet to play. And a ton of really decent guys that are truly a blast to play with.

3. Default Re: Gods Among Men: Stats of the Elite

As someone who has played more rounds and more tours than anyone since the onset of this game, I feel I can speak with some sense of credibility. I have seen everyone who has come and gone on this game and Solid is clearly the best to ever tee it up. To talk about players who ate no longer active and had higher win percentages is very misleading. Maybe they acquired those stats due to the fact that they cherry-picked tours in order to keep their win percentages at a higher rate, which I know was very prevalent in the beginning days of graded tours. I wish I could count the times I heard "I can't wait until graded tours" only to get graded tours and be nowhere to be found. While a lot of players tried grading up as fast as possible, there were also several who waited until most of the top players ranked up so their routes would be easier, stats would look better and win percentages would be higher. I can guarantee Solid never ducked anyone as I was battling right there with him. To even be considered amongst the best is a true honor, but the only way to judge player vs player is to play against said player, not diluted fields. The only way to know for sure would be to dust off the clubs and actually hit the links. I would rather lose to the best than beat the rest!

4. Default Re: Gods Among Men: Stats of the Elite

It would be really cool if the game had an ELO ranking system (like many other competitive games), where your career points were cumulative and the number of points you win or lose from any given round depends on the relative strength of the field. (This is how the World Golf Rankings work)

I will admit my original analysis neglected the dailies which are probably a more accurate indicator of ranking as they have the most inclusive fields.

Everyone talks about how OOB had a more meaningful ranked system, or rather that the rankings were more accurate, which they probably did, but remember it wasn't a balanced game because of the added bonus to advanced shot. From a game mechanics standpoint I think WI is overall better but would benefit from having the more punishing control that OOB had. The problem with WI is that the courses are not challenging enough given the fact that they released the level 6 equipment, and the courses are just not as cleverly designed in general.

5. Default Re: Gods Among Men: Stats of the Elite

Pnx wins with Yuna all the time against G-whatevers that use intermediate and above. Using advanced shot in OOB only gave you an advantage if you could use it. Pnx is crazy with Yuna and the extra yards that the other players have mean nothing. It's about your skill in game play not the distance of your club.

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post

The vast majority of the top 10 on the server all play on the Vita as well
    this is where the statistics fall apart imo
    Plum/p1/bubby/plumb/ploom/plummers/puddin/8utt5niffer/plummy/amarillo/mhm/slom/GuY/pruimsmokkelaar /pwunumfivemunininer/pwumm/99/p1umpkin/15991/plummybear/pum/Captain Chokestain/plym/rlom/naplum/slim

7. Default Re: Gods Among Men: Stats of the Elite

There's going to be a difference between the 3 and vita, the game was built for the vita to be one of the premier games at launch.

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p1um5mu991er View Post
    this is where the statistics fall apart imo
    My point wasn't "Vita is better then Ps3 blah blah" my point is that most of the best players, started from the beginning with the Vita to now. Very little has changed in terms of "who is the best player" from the beginning of release, through the release of on the Ps3, and to the current era. BeEmerson on the Ps3 being the main exception to the rule.

The players that were the best at release, are still the best players today. For the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    The players that were the best at release, are still the best players today. For the most part.
    Most of the players that were "the best" at release aren't around and haven't played in a long time. A good portion of the top players currently playing weren't around at the same time as them. In my opinion you can't really rank either group higher than the other because of that reason. Whether it's lvl 3 or lvl 6 gear, everyone is equipped with same stuff. You still have to execute the shot, read the putt, etc.

10. Default Re: Gods Among Men: Stats of the Elite

Mt mention of the vita was for difference in stats, the vita game released 2/22/12 vs the 3 on 7/24/13, so vita players that are still playing had over a year of playing time therefore would have more time to get wins. I know the lobby was not fully running on release with the graded tours, but it wasn't to long after.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast