Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club or distance requirements for SBS and the like?

1. Default Club or distance requirements for SBS and the like?

Hi there
    I picked up HSG in the PSN a few days ago and started playing right away.

I know there were special shots like SBS and the like and when I manage to hit the perfect impact iIget the spin... most of the times.

What I can't find out no matter where I look, is why sometimes I get the spin and sometimes not. Perfect impact is a given here.
    I read that only some clubs are capeable of the spins. Others say it depends on the distance.

I can't for the life of me find a conclusive answer to that or maybe I can't see the wood for the trees here.

Can anyone help me out?
    As an ambitious player I want to perform to the best of my abilities.
    Which is kind of hard when you have to guess what will happen half of the time....

Thx in advance.

Default Re: Club or distance requirements for SBS and the like?

Whether you get SBS depends on the spin rating of your character. Anya and Alex, for example, the two of the most effective characters in the game, will both get SBS with a 100% or 99% PI shot. Lower spin rated characters usually kick in with a 4 iron.

There are times, when you don't hit very hard, that SBS may not kick in. There are also isolated examples when, I think because it lands on a steep downslope, that SBS doesn't kick in either, but that may be just my bitterness.

Not much to add Dimskill's cogent explanation except for a couple of things to keep in mind when using SBS.

1. The trajectory of the ball will be higher, so be sure to adjust for the greater effect the wind will have on the shot.

2. Using SBS adds about 5 yards to the carry distance of the club, so you need to plan for that also.
    I never knew what true happiness was until I got married . . . then it was too late.

Senidol Guest

To elaborate more on the basics of the subject:

-SBS has breakpoints or requirements that must be met to have activated spin on the landing area.

• Spin Stat.
    • Power % per club.
    • Lie (Good lie, bad lie)

Spin Stat= Each character has a different spin stat base, which can be increased or decreased with certain Club and Ball setups. The spin stat effects trajectory, and also the power % needed to activate spin on a per club basis. It also gives a "base" distance the ball travels when spinning backwards, again per club.

Power %= To meet the second standard of spin, each time stats change the power % required to activate spin with a certain club may change. For each spin level, there may be a different power % requirement per club. For example a high spin character may be able to spin a 5w off the tee hitting 100% power, but at 98% power it will not spin. If you then increase that characters spin stat, you may then be able to spin the 5w at lower power %'s.

Lie= This is the section where most people get tripped up, and is the only part of the spin system that becomes a real-time "analytical" skill. Certain club and lie combinations with certain spin stat setups will not spin under bad lie conditions. For example a 6iron standard lie is 99-100%. If you land in an area that is 97-100% chances are in most cases the ball will not spin even if SBS is activated. There are exceptions to this rule based on rounded variables and different characters, but these are the basics of the system concerning spin. When the ball does in fact activate from a bad lie, the spin distance is then changed to reflect the shot.

Now that we know what the three basic sections are, how do we go about implementing these into our game play? When you choose a character and then a club/ball setup it is imperative that you gain an understanding of their breakpoints for SBS, BS, and SSBS.

• Find the minimum % of power required for each club per character to activate SBS.
    • Find the minimum % of power required for each club per character to activate BS.
    • Find the minimum % of power required for each club per character to activate the SBS portion of SSBS.
    • Learn the default lie percentage of each club. (Every club for every character is the same in this aspect, but the other variables may be different.)
    • Learn how to recognize bad lies and certain club combinations based on your previous knowledge of the above.

In short, the Spin Stat, and Power % requirements should be memorized, while the determination of the lie conditions will be a real time analytical skill using your previous memorized character stats as a base for your hypothesis on the current lie conditions and how the ball will react on the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    To elaborate more on the basics of the subject:

-SBS has breakpoints or requirements that must be met to have activated spin on the landing area.

• Spin Stat.
    • Power % per club.
    • Lie (Good lie, bad lie)

Spin Stat= Each character has a different spin stat base, which can be increased or decreased with certain Club and Ball setups. The spin stat effects trajectory, and also the power % needed to activate spin on a per club basis. It also gives a "base" distance the ball travels when spinning backwards, again per club.

Power %= To meet the second standard of spin, each time stats change the power % required to activate spin with a certain club may change. For each spin level, there may be a different power % requirement per club. For example a high spin character may be able to spin a 5w off the tee hitting 100% power, but at 98% power it will not spin. If you then increase that characters spin stat, you may then be able to spin the 5w at lower power %'s.

Lie= This is the section where most people get tripped up, and is the only part of the spin system that becomes a real-time "analytical" skill. Certain club and lie combinations with certain spin stat setups will not spin under bad lie conditions. For example a 6iron standard lie is 99-100%. If you land in an area that is 97-100% chances are in most cases the ball will not spin even if SBS is activated. There are exceptions to this rule based on rounded variables and different characters, but these are the basics of the system concerning spin. When the ball does in fact activate from a bad lie, the spin distance is then changed to reflect the shot.

Now that we know what the three basic sections are, how do we go about implementing these into our game play? When you choose a character and then a club/ball setup it is imperative that you gain an understanding of their breakpoints for SBS, BS, and SSBS.

• Find the minimum % of power required for each club per character to activate SBS.
    • Find the minimum % of power required for each club per character to activate BS.
    • Find the minimum % of power required for each club per character to activate the SBS portion of SSBS.
    • Learn the default lie percentage of each club. (Every club for every character is the same in this aspect, but the other variables may be different.)
    • Learn how to recognize bad lies and certain club combinations based on your previous knowledge of the above.

In short, the Spin Stat, and Power % requirements should be memorized, while the determination of the lie conditions will be a real time analytical skill using your previous memorized character stats as a base for your hypothesis on the current lie conditions and how the ball will react on the green.
    Just whack it!

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marrow_Farmer View Post
    Just whack it!
    We still talking about golf?

It's not that technical my god. There's a couple simple formulas & things to account for but there's uncontrollable variables on every shot.

Senidol Guest

The original poster asked how exactly the SBS mechanic worked, not how do you think he should play the game. Going to give the poster the benefit of the doubt and say he/she is more then capable of making up their own mind on how to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    The original poster asked how exactly the SBS mechanic worked, not how do you think he should play the game. Going to give the poster the benefit of the doubt and say he/she is more then capable of making up their own mind on how to play.
    Lets see.....you push up, you push down, you hit perfect impact. Somebody stated before that 5 yards extra carry was the norm which it's not, it varies by club although you do get more carry with all. Also you can achieve spin with shorter clubs simply by pushing down & sometimes without perfect impact. SBS with a sand wedge & PW typically carries ALOT further (past labeled yardage) than other clubs so sometimes sbs isn't a good idea unless you're trying to stretch it a few yards. Some characters spin more, some less. It's not rocket science.

I fear this whole thread is a different kind of 'BS' anyway.

Don't you think it's odd that so many threads are started by brand new members who have a fair amount of understanding of the game (the terminology they use gives it away) and have 'found' this site despite there only being a handful of devotees still playing the game online?

I have a strong feeling it's the same person creating multiple accounts (we know who) for attention seeking purposes. Especially when a request for assistance eventually ends up as a gripe about DLC and a yearning for characters from 2 or 3 titles ago to make a return on the next installment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast