Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Out of Bounds / World Tour Putting Tips

Default Re: Out of Bounds / World Tour Putting Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    Haha, believe it or not, he is actually pretty close to a more complete formula for putting. It is close in comparison to a proven more complex formula that I know of. (I don't use "mather" formulas personally)

Although I'm personally not a fan of the "Mather" style of of play, as I take more pride in playing quickly. I do follow the math side of things.

While figuring out complex formulas can give you a better understanding of the actual game mechanics I would personally advise against heavy complicated formulas. There is only one true "Math" player that I know of in the world that was in the top 10 rankings on Minna 5. They go as far as using screen modifications, metronomes etc. I can't say I fully agree with that play style, as to be completely accurate you need guides or things that are not in the game.

If the game was popular enough to become an esport those types of things wouldn't be allowed.
    There is no exact formula because the game can givith & taketh at any moment. Backdoor putts aren't skill when the ball is gonna race way past the hole but they sometimes go in. Or the lip that ends up .2 when a lot of times it will drop. To play well you need to have a solid formula & be a good putter like most of the really good players are. Most of the really good players are gonna put most approach shots with 10-15 feet but they're gonna make a lot of 20 feet + putts as well.

Senidol Guest

The "Giveth" and "Taketh" parts of the game are just part of a larger Algorithm.

A better way to word it, the game engine is designed by a web of complicated algorithms, but in every single one, single or multiple random variables are involved.

Perfection cannot be obtained in a system of random variables. But knowing the true formula for a given mechanic does increase your chances of success.

Long story short, there are exact formulas for these two game engines, for almost every mechanic you can think of. The amount of work required to obtain that level of data and then put it into practice is beyond absurd though. Minna 5 has more random variables then Minna 6.

To my knowledge there aren't any true "Mathers" here on the international server. But I do know of a few on Minna 5 and 6, that would probably embarrass the crap out of our server similar to what Kamebon (Trick shot player from Japan) did in G0 on OOB. I don't agree with the "Mather" style of play, but I also can't write it off as a non valid method.

I use math on every single shot.

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VOLS34 View Post
    I use math on every single shot.
    Of course we all do, but they are usually simplified algebra or arithmetic. I should clarify what a "Mather" is, a "Mather" is a player that uses advanced calculus and trigonometry calculating things using spreadsheets, a metronome, and on-screen guides.

-Wind formula for every club, and every 5 degrees of wind.
    -On screen wind graph to see degrees.
    -Metronome for the highest known career PI %.
    -Every power % mapped using a metronome for timing.
    -Multiple auto-mated excel spreadsheets that do complicated formulas for you by entering data.
    -Timing data for slope.
    -Separate wind formula for up slope and down slope,
    -Specific pin data for bounce and roll.

In other words, almost everything they do is auto-mated from a very large collection of data. The only human input is entering the data into a spreadsheet and then pressing the button. For an example, the highest known non "Mather" career PI% is in the 70-75% range. The highest career PI% by the best "Mather" is 88.6%.

I don't believe in the use of out of game aides.
    Last edited by Senidol; 06-15-2013 at 02:26 AM.

We all like to play well, but this has to be rampaging into OCD/autism territory. And I wonder why my "see ball:hit ball" mentality doesn't cut the mustard at G0.

Of course we all do, but they are usually simplified algebra or arithmetic. I should clarify what a "Mather" is, a "Mather" is a player that uses advanced calculus and trigonometry calculating things using spreadsheets, a metronome, and on-screen guides.

-Wind formula for every club, and every 5 degrees of wind.
    -On screen wind graph to see degrees.
    -Metronome for the highest known career PI %.
    -Every power % mapped using a metronome for timing.
    -Multiple auto-mated excel spreadsheets that do complicated formulas for you by entering data.
    -Timing data for slope.
    -Separate wind formula for up slope and down slope,
    -Specific pin data for bounce and roll.

In other words, almost everything they do is auto-mated from a very large collection of data. The only human input is entering the data into a spreadsheet and then pressing the button. For an example, the highest known non "Mather" career PI% is in the 70-75% range. The highest career PI% by the best "Mather" is 88.6%.

I don't believe in the use of out of game aides.

Not that complicated

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VOLS34 View Post
    Not that complicated
    You must be trolling at this point.

You must be trolling at this point.
    Maybe some people have to try that hard. A lot of really good players don't.

Senidol Guest

I feel like there might have been a communication failure on my part somewhere? I agree with you, my point was that there are players (a select few) in Japan that use only very complicated math to great success. The best female player in the world being one of them.

Is it the best way to play the game? Probably not. It requires to many aides.

I feel like there might have been a communication failure on my part somewhere? I agree with you, my point was that there are players (a select few) in Japan that use only very complicated math to great success. The best female player in the world being one of them.

Is it the best way to play the game? Probably not. It requires to many aides.
    My apologies then. If you need to do anything other than look at the TV & calculate your shot in your head & then execute then how much fun is that?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast