Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Out of Bounds / World Tour Putting Tips

1. Default Re: Out of Bounds / World Tour Putting Tips

I use a rather different approach since I try to use the maximum possible amount of numerical estimations. So here are the rules of thumbs that tell me how to handle 90% of my putts.

The method I describe here aims to have the ball reach the hole with minimal velocity. This is suboptimal in several ways but it enables the rules of thumb to be easily implemented.

there is an example in the end if I'm not clear enough.

1 - Upward/Downward Slope :

It's the easiest adjustment, and it is probably widely known. For every centimeter of upward/downward slope, add/remove 10 cm to the power of your shot.

2 - Left/Right Slope :

It's trickier. First of all, I estimate velocity of the green by counting the number of seconds that the little pixel takes to go from one side to another of a block (that represent 50 cm). I count those "seconds" in a way that is probably specific to HSG, and they are probably not real seconds. Let's call that number X. The more slope there is, the smaller X will be.
    Then, I adjust the position of the hole by Length/X blocks.

3 - The Left/Right Slope adjustment is reduced by a given percentage if there is an upward slope, to take into account the higher velocity of the ball. This adjustment is roughly equal to (Length of the hole/Power of the shot). Conversely, if there is an upward slope, the left/right adjustment needs to be increased by the same factor.

4 - "Feeling" : A few adjustments need to be done at this point :

- If the slope changes during the trajectory of the putt, one needs to remind that the slope at start will have a higher impact than the slope at the end.
    - On especially difficult putts, the trajectory can be computed in a slightly easiest way by starting with the camera on the hole and slowly assessing the trajectory in reverse.

So the formula :

let A be the Upward/Downward slope in meters
    let X be the velocity of the green (in "seconds that the pixel takes to travel one block")
    let L be the length of the putt in meters.

The power of the putt must be around L + A*10
    There must be a lateral adjustment of L/X * (L/L+A*10)

Example : A 4 m put, with a slope to the left of velocity 2 seconds, and an upward slope of 5 centimeters :

1 - Adjust power to take into account upward slope : 4.50 m instead of 4m
    2 - Put the hole 2 blocks on the left (4/2)
    3 - Reduce this adjustment to 4/4.5 ~= 90%

So the lateral adjustment will be roughly 1.8 blocks.

Now you know all I know about putting in OOB

Default Re: Out of Bounds / World Tour Putting Tips

Now I realise how some people manage to time out in "normal" tours.

Maybe you should post your putting stats for each course, if they are vastly supurior to mine I could be convinced

Quote Originally Posted by Marrow_Farmer View Post
    Now I realise how some people manage to time out in "normal" tours.

Maybe you should post your putting stats for each course, if they are vastly supurior to mine I could be convinced
    What you said

Senidol Guest

Haha, believe it or not, he is actually pretty close to a more complete formula for putting. It is close in comparison to a proven more complex formula that I know of. (I don't use "mather" formulas personally)

Although I'm personally not a fan of the "Mather" style of of play, as I take more pride in playing quickly. I do follow the math side of things.

While figuring out complex formulas can give you a better understanding of the actual game mechanics I would personally advise against heavy complicated formulas. There is only one true "Math" player that I know of in the world that was in the top 10 rankings on Minna 5. They go as far as using screen modifications, metronomes etc. I can't say I fully agree with that play style, as to be completely accurate you need guides or things that are not in the game.

If the game was popular enough to become an esport those types of things wouldn't be allowed.
    Last edited by Senidol; 06-14-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Unless you got a metranome thingy sat by the telly the side break calculation would always be done on guess work, even then the start and end count for 1 square would still be open to human error.

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marrow_Farmer View Post
    Unless you got a metranome thingy sat by the telly the side break calculation would always be done on guess work, even then the start and end count for 1 square would still be open to human error.
    Lol there are people on the Japanese server that use a free online metronome and do exactly as you described...also they have various transparent graphs etc they put over their LCD screens...

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    Lol there are people on the Japanese server that use a free online metronome and do exactly as you described...also they have various transparent graphs etc they put over their LCD screens...
    I thought I was getting serious by turning the music off.

this is a little trick I used to use on those no distance marker tours in minna nogolf 5.
    I would tape a length of clear fishing line dead center vertically on the tv screen. after doing this I found it to be a very helpful tool for putting. the ball always starts and stays dead center so anything left or right of the line is the break. the ghost ball will always stay on course with the fishing line as it's not the ball that breaks but the background that moves. this makes it more easy to follow the ghost ball and stop it when you want to.

9. Default Re: Out of Bounds / World Tour Putting Tips

really? people go this far for a game? i wonder how much they would pay for a club that tracks the hole or maybe a homming ball guided missle ball lol.

10. Default Re: Out of Bounds / World Tour Putting Tips

You need a metal ball and a very, very strong magnetic cup. With this you will never putt as ALL approach shots will go in the hole.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast