Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Senidol's Guide to Lower Scores! (Advanced)

Senidol Guest

Default Re: Senidol's Guide to Lower Scores! (Advanced)

Quote Originally Posted by jskillz95 View Post
    What rule do you suggest for elevation. I have heard one half rule and three quarters rule. At peaks hole 16, always left with an approach shot with 16 yard elevation. I use the three quarters rule here and add 12 to approach shot for elevation change.
    Usually I used about half for lower elevation, on some holes with 15+ I used 1/3rd. The best suggestion I have to tell you is to learn 1 course each day-week depending on playtime, go into the training mode and hit approaches into greens that you find difficult, it takes time but with some trial and error you can turn your weak holes into your stronger ones and get a leg up on the rest of the field. For accuracy play with 0 wind first.

The key is that everyone is always in a hurry to get "good" and the truth is that it takes effort and time. Learn only a few things at once. It can be overwhelming and detrimental to your overall success to practice to many things at once. Practice a few things a day, that you can develop into muscle memory.
    Last edited by Senidol; 05-30-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Elevation is a tricky thing. I learnt from an esteemed colleague that a decent rule of thumb for down is to divide by 3 and take that off the shot. For ups, it is club dependent (as it may be for down, but I haven't worked on that). Using Alex as a standard, and a 4-iron as base-club, I add the elevation to the shot. My standard app is without pi. As the club becomes more lofted, so the elevation becomes less significant, to the point that with a SW any elevation can virtually be discounted.

With flatter trajectories, there will be a yard or two adjustment longer, I dare say, and anybody who hits pi regularly would adjust shorter, but my elevation tactics seem to work OK.

Quote Originally Posted by dimskill View Post
    Elevation is a tricky thing. I learnt from an esteemed colleague that a decent rule of thumb for down is to divide by 3 and take that off the shot. For ups, it is club dependent (as it may be for down, but I haven't worked on that). Using Alex as a standard, and a 4-iron as base-club, I add the elevation to the shot. My standard app is without pi. As the club becomes more lofted, so the elevation becomes less significant, to the point that with a SW any elevation can virtually be discounted.

With flatter trajectories, there will be a yard or two adjustment longer, I dare say, and anybody who hits pi regularly would adjust shorter, but my elevation tactics seem to work OK.
    I use 1/3 off for down hill and 2/3 on for uphill. I don't change my maths for any type if club which is possibly why I'm stuck at the level I'm at now

Can someone tell me how the hell to read the wind when standing on the tee. I try the grass drop but always get some crazy results (is the game really smart enough to know some tees are sheltered from the wind?), should I be looking at the clouds or something!!!!! I had Anya stood on Crow 8 (the second par 3) yesterday with the grass dropping by her feet so I play for 1-2m/s only to hit the ball and see 6.5 pop up, needles to say I went plop!

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marrow_Farmer View Post
    I use 1/3 off for down hill and 2/3 on for uphill. I don't change my maths for any type if club which is possibly why I'm stuck at the level I'm at now

Can someone tell me how the hell to read the wind when standing on the tee. I try the grass drop but always get some crazy results (is the game really smart enough to know some tees are sheltered from the wind?), should I be looking at the clouds or something!!!!! I had Anya stood on Crow 8 (the second par 3) yesterday with the grass dropping by her feet so I play for 1-2m/s only to hit the ball and see 6.5 pop up, needles to say I went plop!
    Visually you can count in your head the speed at which the lines move from the base of the arrow, to the tip of the arrow. Also sound recognition helps me more than anything, I'm usually never more then 1m off.

To comment further on the elevation discussion, while using one or two ways to adjust for elevation can be successful to some extent, it isn't ideal to apply only one or two methods to elevation reading. There are lot of things to consider, like the character you are using, and which club you are hitting the approach shot with etc. Now you may be thinking how in the world can you do all that math in so little time. Learning the course in training mode through repetition is the best and fastest way to get more accurate calculations into memory.

5. Default Re: Senidol's Guide to Lower Scores! (Advanced)

Quote Originally Posted by dimskill View Post

Can you give some examples on this pls dims? I think it's about time I tried this...

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    Visually you can count in your head the speed at which the lines move from the base of the arrow, to the tip of the arrow. Also sound recognition helps me more than anything, I'm usually never more then 1m off.
    3 years I've had this game and I've no idea what you are talking about, what lines on what arrows?

7. Default Re: Senidol's Guide to Lower Scores! (Advanced)

i think he is talking about the lines in the wind directional indicator. and how fast they are moving

Senidol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marrow_Farmer View Post
    3 years I've had this game and I've no idea what you are talking about, what lines on what arrows?
    Inside the wind direction arrow there are dark lines which move with the speed of the wind, increasing as the wind increases. At 0m wind the darker lines barely move. Just go to the training course and go in 0-9m increments.

Quote Originally Posted by Senidol View Post
    Inside the wind direction arrow there are dark lines which move with the speed of the wind, increasing as the wind increases. At 0m wind the darker lines barely move. Just go to the training course and go in 0-9m increments.
    Oh for crying out loud, I never knew about these lines, why did no one tell me? All the time people were nailing apps with 7m/s cross winds and I'm p***ing in the wind (excuse the punn) with grass drops. I feel like such a noooob.

I use a combo of the wind arrow and grass drop while I am at the tee. Wind arrow is a visual thing for me, good idea to make it as objective as can be as suggested by we senidol.
    "Everybody has a plan, 'till they get hit in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast