Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player Recognition

Default Player Recognition

I think this site should have some form of recognition for the people who try there very best but don't win during competitive events.

I call this "Honorable Mentions", having some way of praising those who participate in the events but may never win in any of them.

I know this seems stupid but loser's are just as important as winners in my opinion (you can't have winners if there's no losers).

If there was something like this on this site it would give me more incentive to try these competitive events even if I never win in them, this would give me (as well as anyone else) some form of assurance that they'll receive some form of recognition (nobody ever praises the losers).

Just a thought.

Craig G
    They must of had a huge lag 2000 years ago. It took Jesus three days to respawn.

PSN: Craig_Goulart OT2: Craig

Default Re: Player Recognition

i want to try and word this as nicely as possible.. its funny because this is something that bugs me to no end. why does everyone feel the need to be recognized for pretty much just showing up. i work with people like this and it bugs me, if someone get praised for having perfect attendance then they want to be recognized because they only missed one day or two. grrrrrrrr. but anyhoo, if you won the tournament would you want to share the spotlight with the guy who finnished last.

Because we're a world of individuals, each with his or her own personality, talents and abilities. With the exception of competitive sports, where you enter into the concept of "the winner takes it all" freely of your own will, I feel that praising someone for something and not others, in everyday, commonplace situations is wrong, because it always leads to envy and boasting. Just because someone's got a perfect attendance record doesn't mean he or she is better than everyone else, and most people just feel bad when someone gets "recognized" for it. Personally I'd feel bad if I got such recognition myself.

A true sportsman would love to share the spotlight with the one who finished last, and I've actually seen a couple of examples of winners who've done so, coming out on the other end as an even bigger idol than he was before.

Craig, I like the idea but we have to be careful that we're not handing out ribbons to everyone who plays like we're back in elementary school. Maybe a good compromise is to bring back the way Shaq used to highlight people who hit albys, aces, and such. Maybe particularly good holes or rounds can be highlighted, win or lose. I don't know if we'd give awards out, but just some recognition for fine play.

When I think about it, the easiest way to do this is just to elaborate on how the match went in an event when posting in the results thread. Talk about the ups and downs, and highlight any great or ridiculously unlucky shots. I love reading Kijani's writeups. Win or lose, you get a great idea of what happened rather than just "so and so won 3&2." And with the extra detail, perhaps Shaq or another can post some categories like Best Shots, Unluckiest Loser, Trick Shot Artist, etc., as the event winds down. Something to look back on the event and see not only the champ, but what happened (kind of like sports articles after a big event).

Just a suggestion. Obviously that would require people putting in effort to replay what happened in individual matches, and someone(s) to write up fun stuff afterwards.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~Maya Angelou

yeh, look up the ryder cup writeups. usually whoever was responsible for reporting gave kudos to someone who pulled off a sick shot or performance.

for example, find doylev's ryder cup shot--hooahhh
    Plum/p1/bubby/plumb/ploom/plummers/puddin/8utt5niffer/plummy/amarillo/mhm/slom/GuY/pruimsmokkelaar /pwunumfivemunininer/pwumm/99/p1umpkin/15991/plummybear/pum/Captain Chokestain/plym/rlom/naplum/slim

6. Default Re: Player Recognition

We're heading down a path toward Communism with ideas like this.

No I wasn't talking about awards, just a "good job" or something like that is enough.
    They must of had a huge lag 2000 years ago. It took Jesus three days to respawn.

PSN: Craig_Goulart OT2: Craig

Good job!
    Plum/p1/bubby/plumb/ploom/plummers/puddin/8utt5niffer/plummy/amarillo/mhm/slom/GuY/pruimsmokkelaar /pwunumfivemunininer/pwumm/99/p1umpkin/15991/plummybear/pum/Captain Chokestain/plym/rlom/naplum/slim

Well I want to state my case for "recognition" as the level 20 most likely to choke away a g0... thanks!!

10. Default Re: Player Recognition

I'd like to state my case for "recognition" as the bitter traditionalist who refuses to embrace new technology (swing). Kind of like an old man that still has a rotary dial phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast