Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

1. Default Re: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

[quote author=HawaiiD link=topic=2039.msg28202#msg28202 date=1236571314]
    btw kid you only have to do 9 holes to achieve GOG heres the scores you need
    in order to get GOG. BTW
    [size=14pt]I suggest using the long tees.[/size]
    [/quote]

I know this is the conventional wisdom but my empirical data disagrees. I have 11 of the 12 GoG scores. I scored 9 from the regular tees and 2 from the long tees. So my experience is that the regular tees are the easier one to get the scores from... although you could adjust and interpret it differently because of the number of rounds on regular vs. long. Still, taking that into account, my stats show that it was about 60% easier for me to get the GoG score from the regular tees.

Blanked out all scores that were not GoG or above.

I only played and practiced on one course to get a "score" (for superstar status). All of the other qualifying scores are from the mandatory challenges to achieve "Black Rank", playing to get pods and online. I know that I've shot 4 of my GoG qualifying scores in Ladder Matches. Interesting!

Default Re: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

Actually for the harder courses, the longer tees are easier to get GOG status from since they are usually one stroke less.

On the last few courses, there are no short par4's so it isn't like you are giving anything up by choosing long tee

3. Default Re: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

[quote author=Roughdawg4 link=topic=2039.msg29155#msg29155 date=1236769603]
    Actually for the harder courses, the longer tees are easier to get GOG status from since they are usually one stroke less.

On the last few courses, there are no short par4's so it isn't like you are giving anything up by choosing long tee
    [/quote]

Okay RD, post your screens for Best Score stats, regular and long. Let's see if your contention holds up to your experience. I'm genuinely interested.

I didn't say my LT would be better, I said long tees are easier to get GOG status Kid. Reread my post.

The requirement for fortress reg tee is -7 while long tee is -6. Since there are no short par 4's, it is in your best interest to try for -6.

5. Default Re: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

[quote author=Roughdawg4 link=topic=2039.msg29159#msg29159 date=1236771407]
    I didn't say my LT would be better, I said long tees are easier to get GOG status Kid. Reread my post.

The requirement for fortress reg tee is -7 while long tee is -6. Since there are no short par 4's, it is in your best interest to try for -6.
    [/quote]

If your regular scores aren't better than your long tee scores by at least one then why would you think it would be any easier to make the score for GoG from the LT?

Your contention is that less strokes to qualify = better.

I'm just asking you to give your own empirical proof that it's easier or at least as easy to score one stroke worse from the long tee's as it is from the regular tee's.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Love ya' RD! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I guess I can let me go home and take a picture Kid

7. Default Re: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

[quote author=Roughdawg4 link=topic=2039.msg29314#msg29314 date=1236796524]
    I guess I can let me go home and take a picture Kid
    [/quote]

Sure! ;D

You know, I agree with your logic and it is the conventional wisdom, i.e., if you're having trouble getting that score on Fortress from the regular tees it will be easier to get that score if you play it from the back tees.

The only problem with that logic is that my empirical results do not back that up. Quite the opposite. Maybe it's just me or I'm at the long tail end of some statistical variance. I don't know.

We certainly will be getting more data as soon as Shaq32 starts putting up LT scores on the leaderboard. ;D

8. Default Re: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

Well to be fair, most people tend to play Reg Tee more often than Back Tee, just kind of how it goes. You weren't necessarily planning for GoG since day one so to qualify your scores as empirical evidence isn't exactly accurate I think. I may be way off because I don't know your playing habbits, but I think the fact that Reg Tee is used more often than Long Tee for most people brings another factor into the equation.

Fortress and Royal & Links the only two courses without drivable par 4s. </Nitpick>

And that's barring some freak ridiculous wind on a hole like #10 for R&L coupled with a good kick.

I'd say the Long Tee suggestion would be better suited for someone who isn't as consistent as your average GoG or who doesn't really know their way around a certain course. But when you get past the point of GoG scores and into personal bests, Long Tee usually takes at least one if not two or three strokes off the Reg Tee round. Of course their are anomalies, if you shoot lights out in a given back tee round you might have some trouble catching your Reg Tee score up with it, especially on the more difficult courses where the short par 4s are possible make-up holes instead of just being a freebie eagle.

9. Default Re: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

MasonR - Just a quick comment on the anomalies and that last course.

I'm hoping that as many people as possible post their scores in the leaderboard thread. Taking averages for (hopefully) 20 scores will iron out the anomalies.

I think Fortress is at least 3-strokes harder from the tips if not more. So, IF that is correct you would be at a half-stroke disadvantage from the get-go if you tried to get the qualifying score from the Tips.

And just some anecdotal evidence: I tried following the advice of playing from the Long Tees on that one course I could not go low enough on to get Superstar. Played it 10 or 15 times, mapping out the course, learning the pin positions, etc. and my best was one short. It was pissing me off. The next day I get into an online tourney on that course from the regular tees. I won the tourney and beat the superstar qualifying score by one, thus improving my PB by 2 strokes. As a side benefit I got promoted to Superstar!

Anyways, I would love to have more data.

10. Default Re: HSG.com - Superstar/GoG Players

Grats on your promotion!

I definitely agree about Fortress Long Tee. The final/most difficult course in HSG games have traditionally been much more difficult from the long tees. I mean there's a big difference between comfortably hitting a 3w off the tee to get into prime attacking position and having to possible rabbit/turtle or get a lucky Blue to get there, or even lay back for a tougher approach. The difference between a 140y ap and a 170y ap on Fortress is horrific.

And actually, my PB at Fortress Long is still just -11, but I've only played it 6 times (instead of the whopping 15 times I've played Reg Tee lmao).

I would like to point out that I think there's a big difference between online tournament play and offline play. I definitely play offline a bit, but it's very easy to get careless, loose or to just lose your feel for PI because you're not playing for anything. At least that's the case for me, hard to play for nothing.

(At the moment you can look at my OT2 album in my photobucket to see my Long Tee scores. Some are god awful, some are awesome, I myself am very guilty of neglecting LT scores which I surprising because I thrive on LT in OOB. Anyway, feel free to take a look and poke fun at some of the score disparities between RT and LT)

Like you, I would love to see more data on this issue though.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast